At Tennant Company, sustainability is intimately tied to our core value of
stewardship and vision: helping create a cleaner, safer, and healthier world.
Sustainability applies to both how we operate our business and the products we
design and sell. We are uniquely positioned in that our products help our
customers improve the lives of people and reduce the impacts of cleaning on the
A sustainable business has the ability to:
- Develop the capacity to endure good times as well as bad
- Overcome resource constraints
- Adapt to escalating materials costs
- Respond transparently to stakeholder priorities and concerns
Core Value Stewardship
Our core value of stewardship embodies sustainability. Stewardship is about
the responsible management of resources people, profits, and planet so that
future generations can enjoy the same privileges we do today. The goal of our
sustainability initiative is to make Tennant Company one that both endures and
prospers as an organization and helps others do so as well.
Tennant's Sustainability journey, guided by a strategy to focus on areas
where we can make the most significant difference:
- Designing high quality cleaning products
- Reducing energy and emission
- Reducing waste
- Improving the lives of people with whom we interact.
Changing the Way the World Cleans
Developing products and solutions that help create clean, safe and healthy
places in environmentally responsible ways.
Tennant's Cleaning Revolution
Tennant Company's sustainability vision is rooted in a commitment to
transform the cleaning industry by developing products and technologies that
protect human health while minimizing environmental consequences.
More than 6 billion pounds of chemicals are used every year in the cleaning
industry many from scarce, non-renewable resources. Tennant is committed to
doing what it can to reduce the impact of those chemicals on the planet and on
the health of individuals who come in contact with them.
Our current approach to sustainable products is twofold:
- Continuously evaluating opportunities to improve efficiencies and limit
waste with our existing products
- Developing new, high-performance solutions that minimize environmental
impacts and benefit human health
Conserving resources to preserve our planet
Our goal is to reduce all forms of energy we use and emissions generated,
globally applying best energy management practices and holding employees
accountable for conservation.
Energy is a rising cost both environmentally and economically. Tennant's
energy strategy involves a combination of energy efficiency and conservation
measures in both our internal operations and the way we design our products.
Conservation Initiatives for 2010-2011
- Lighting retrofit at Tennant's Holland, Michigan plant
- Installation of occupancy sensors that automatically turn off lights when
the space is not in use reducing our annual lamp usage by 2,000 hours at
Tennant's Minneapolis plant
- Replaced 750 metal halide lamps with 208 watt high-bay fluorescents in our
Minneapolis production area and warehouses
Results of Energy Audits
- Electrical consumption reduced by an estimated 1,068,000 kilowatt hours
- Overall annual savings of $72,000
- New fluorescent bulbs have increased foot candles to the work surface from
39 to 83 lumens on average.
Lightening Our Load
We seek to reduce the materials we bring into our facilities while also
increasing the percentage of solid waste we recycle. We employ a "Reduce Reuse
Recycle" approach to our waste management policies and practices, and
prioritize materials reduction at the source whenever possible.
At Tennant, we are continuously looking for new ways to improve efficiency,
reduce cost, and decrease environmental impacts in our manufacturing
Take a look at some of the changes we have made as a company:
- Elimination of excess inventory and overall improvement in operator
movement and productivity
- Improvement of output and flow of the plant
- Reduction of internal use of shipping pallets by approximately 50 percent
- Reduction of unnecessary costs in our fabrication department by
approximately 40 percent since 2007
- Shift to orders in made in real-time, based on actual customer
With the launch of "DigiTools," Tennant's sales representatives can now use
customizable templates to develop online or hard copy materials. Moving to an
"on-demand" printing environment has eliminated a significant amount of the
As a result of our combined efforts, Tennant was able to reduce annual
marketing printing costs by 54% since 2008.
Creating a cleaner, safer world to live, work and play
Dedicated to improving the lives of the people we touch and the communities
in which we do business.
The success of all four of Tennant Company's sustainability pillars depends
heavily on its people. Tennant's commitment to people is underscored by a desire
to improve the lives of everyone who comes in contact with our company or
- Employees: We strive to make Tennant a great place to work by continuously
engaging with our employees to identify opportunities to improve their job and
- Customers: We work tirelessly to enhance the customer experience by
providing the highest possible quality products to improve the health and
safety of their environments.
- Community: We have a proven history of actively cultivating community
connections through the work of our Foundation and employee volunteerism
programs. When we thrive, our communities thrive.
In 2008, Tennant Company launched a global program to provide employees with
the opportunity to provide feedback to improve their employment experience. In
response to the survey, Tennant Company has implemented changes to enhance
employees' overall experience and workplace satisfaction, including:
- A renewed focus on employee communications
- An expanded employee rewards and recognition program
- Improvements to training and development programs