Your shopping cart is empty.
Retail Flooring: How to Clean Concrete & Tile Floors
Retail Best Practice - Cleaning Various Floor Types
Keep Your Floors Looking New
In a retail store all the elements from lighting to decor to flooring combine, creating a welcoming environment for customers. However, it’s the flooring that often sustains a great deal of foot traffic. Over time it can dull and show signs of wear. Proper care and cleaning ensures that it will last longer while continuing to look like new. These best practices for cleaning various floor types will help you keep your floor looking like new.
Flooring Maintenence for High-Traffic Areas:
Preventative measures can really extend the life of the floor:
- Use mats at entrances to catch the dirt before it gets tracked through the store.
- Immediately sweep up abrasives like grit and sand so they can’t scratch or damage the floor.
- Clean spills as soon as they happen to keep the floor from getting damaged and to make cleaning easier.
One of the most common floor types used in retail environments is a polished concrete floor. Its cost effectiveness, durability, and long lifespan certainly contribute to its popularity, but its nearly maintenance-free reputation also makes it an attractive option.
Follow this guidance for cleaning polished concrete flooring:
- Polish the floor at least weekly with an automatic floor scrubber. However, heavier traffic may require it to be done daily.
- Use appropriate pads and brushes on the flooring as well as cleaning solutions.
Porcelain tile and ceramic tile as well as VCT and LVT flooring are also popular flooring solutions for retail stores. These types of flooring tend to be very durable and can stand up well to heavy traffic. While cleaning porcelain tile and ceramic tile is very similar to other types, there are a few differences. For example, the grout lines need to be cleaned when ceramic or porcelain tiles are used. Likewise, VCT needs to be burnished occasionally to maintain its wet look.
Follow this guidance for cleaning tile flooring:
- Clean with an orbital scrubber, using pads and brushes that are appropriate for the job, such as special brushes used for the grout lines.
- Use a detergent-free cleaning solution when possible.
- Burnish VCT flooring on a regular basis.