Your shopping cart is empty.
For the best site experience, please use Chrome, Safari, Edge, Firefox or another modern web browser. Internet Explorer is no longer supported.
Top Tips for Keeping Your School Clean
Keeping your school clean is essential for maintaining the health & safety of students and staff. Brush up on ways you can keep your school in optimal condition, while also protecting your budget with these helpful tips.
1. GET INVOLVED
Regardless of how you clean your floor, being involved in the equipment purchasing decision is crucial to your facility. Three options for your floor care program:
- Self or In-House Cleaning: Purchase equipment and supplies; hire labor
- Outsourced Cleaning: Buy ‘the result’ through use of hired cleaning contractors
- Hybrid Cleaning: Purchase equipment and supplies; outsource labor
Clean smarter with asset management and business intelligence metrics, which allow you to:
- Objectively measure a clean environment
- Create consistency across your schools
- Develop a consistent process that you can track across your facilities
- Isolate issues and make corrective actions quickly and cost-effectively
3. STAFF TRAINING
No matter which cleaning program you choose, staff must be properly trained to ensure consistency and quality.
- Thoroughly train your staff and provide job aids like wall charts and videos
- Build a successful on-boarding program and frequently retrain
Make the biggest bang for your buck by focusing on the most noticed areas of your school.
- Classrooms, restrooms and common areas are the most used areas
5. SPILL MANAGEMENT
Risk increases and image suffers when spills are left to sit.
- Put in place a spill management process to increase safety for your students and employees
- Utilize small automated scrubbers for quick cleaning and water pick-up, leaving the area dry and immediately ready for traffic
6. RIGHT PRODUCT AND EQUIPMENT
Partner with excellence when choosing a cleaning product manufacturer.
- Drop the mop: increase productivity and performance and reduce risk with mechanized cleaning
- Give your teams the proper tools to do their job with high quality, durable cleaning equipment
7. BATTERY & MACHINE MAINTENANCE
Good battery maintenance is essential for battery performance, extending battery life and increasing ROI.
- Charge your cleaning equipment’s batteries fully each night for optimal performance
- Maintain performance by following the manufacturer’s recommended daily maintenance procedures
8. USE OEM PARTS
Correct parts are important, and OEM parts are designed specifically for your machine.
- OEM parts offer better cleaning performance and help machines last
- Clean your pads and check squeegees after every use
9. PREVENTION AND FIRST IMPRESSIONS
- By placing mats in the entryways, you can reduce dirt by up to 80%
- Small, maneuverable scrubbers and vacuums should be used to prevent dirt from being tracked further into the school
10. GO ODOR-FREE
Minimize exposure to potentially harmful chemicals and strong detergent odors
- Detergent-free cleaning not only helps keep students and employees noses happy, but also reduces waste, decreases shipping costs and minimizes exposure to VOCs (volatile organic compounds)
With smaller budgets and bigger service demands, cleaning strategies have to get smarter. Hopefully our 10 Tips and Tricks to Create a Safe, Satisfying and Clean Education Experience help you build a methodical cleaning program that keeps your facility clean, safe and inviting.
Ready to take your cleaning to the next level?
Whether you are requesting a product demonstration or a quote, ordering parts, or making a service appointment, you've come to the right place. Tennant professional representatives are ready with answers to your questions, and we look forward to showing you how much we appreciate your business.