Your shopping cart is empty.
For the best site experience, please use Chrome, Safari, Edge, Firefox or another modern web browser. Internet Explorer is no longer supported.
2022 (FY21) Corporate Sustainability Report
Posted in Sustainability,  Industry News,
We are excited to share Tennant Company’s 2022 (FY21) Sustainability Report, which outlines our sustainability strategy and ESG commitments, along with 2021 progress, actions, and accomplishments.
Our legacy of leadership in sustainability is strong – we’ve made significant strides in reducing our greenhouse gas emissions, embedding sustainability into our products, and showing up for our people and communities. A common thread across our progress is collaboration; we know the importance of working with our customers, partners, employees, and communities to expand our impact.
As 2021 closed, we began updating our sustainability strategy, including our goals, focus areas, and ambitions. This strategy refresh work continues in 2022, and we expect to publish the results of that work in next year’s sustainability report. Our current strategy launched in 2014 and enabled Tennant’s sustainability leadership across our industry.
Key achievements include:
- We achieved 38 sustainability targets through the new product development process since 2014.
- In 2021, 99% of the products we sold were electric.
- We conducted 7 Life Cycle Assessments (LCA) to better understand all the environmental impacts from sourcing raw materials to the end of life of our products and technologies since 2010.
Climate: Greenhouse Gas Emissions & Energy
- In 2018, we were one of the first 100 global companies to have our science-based targets (SBT) for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction approved by the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi).
- In 2020, we achieved one of our emissions reduction targets by reducing our Scope 1 & 2 GHG emissions by 35% since 2016.
- For nine consecutive years we have responded to stakeholders’ requests to disclose our climate action commitments to CDP. For the last five years we have received an “A-” score and our goals and actions have been rated as “Leadership level.”
- We reduced emissions from Tennant Legacy* machines by 32% since 2016.
- In 2021, 86% of electricity we purchased to power our buildings came from renewable sources.
*Tennant Legacy is defined as Tennant Company before the IPC acquisition in 2017 and Gaomei acquisition in 2019.
People & Communities
- We invested over $5 million in our local communities through the Tennant Foundation since 2014.
- Since 2017, we have seen over a 70% decrease in global operations safety incidents.
- We became a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact.
- We launched our Human Rights Policy on World Human Rights Day, December 10, 2021.
- Since 2017, we've recycled over 18,800 tons of materials.
At Tennant, stewardship has long been one of our guiding principles. We believe that leaving things better than they were before and taking action on the societal issues important to our business and stakeholders is critical to delivering on our purpose of creating a cleaner, safer, and healthier world.
To learn more about our approach to sustainability, 2021 accomplishments, other sustainability, and ESG initiatives, please view the 2022 (FY21) Sustainability Report.
Ready to take your cleaning to the next level?
Whether you are requesting a product demonstration or a quote, ordering parts, or making a service appointment, you've come to the right place. Tennant professional representatives are ready with answers to your questions, and we look forward to showing you how much we appreciate your business.